Thursday, May 21, 2015

Maximum Sharing Capacity Reached

Everyone has seen a political rant or comment on social media.  There is always that one friend who feels the need to blast their opinion in a sometimes lengthy Facebook post.  Usually this friend is stuck to one side of the spectrum or the other.  The worst is when the identified ‘friend’ blasts untrue facts and consequently convinces others of an untrue fact.

I am not one who chooses to blast my opinion on social media.  No, this does not make me better than individuals who do post an opinion, it is simply my decision.  I decided to use my social media sites as educational platforms instead of opinion based.

I choose post unbiased information like where to find voting areas or a great article that outlines the political candidates’ ideals.  People rarely watch the debates or keep up with the news anymore so by posting this type of information it is more likely to reach people above anything else.
I believe that by providing sound information to individuals on social media they are more likely mobilize, and DO something (like vote for a change).   Social media brings people together and allows for ideas to be shared, so in that aspect I think that social media is great for the political sphere.

However, as I mentioned earlier, people spread bad information.  Perhaps they saw the article on a satirical site and took it as the truth.  Whatever it is, it is hurting the people who believe it.  Most people can tell if something is true or not but while scrolling through the newsfeed, the individual isn’t always paying close attention.
Overall, be careful what you post.  Do your research and don’t tear down other people’s opinions just because it isn’t yours.  Make social media an advantage to you, not a disadvantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment