Monday, April 20, 2015

I am Addicted to Google

After laying out how many people use Google on a daily, even hourly, basis it is amazing that we haven’t been fully taken over by Google.  I’ll be the first one to say that I am addicted to Google and use it constantly. 

Here’s a confession for all you other bloggers: I have a Google search bar on the home screen of my phone. So is Google taking over our lives? Probably.

I use it to look up the most mundane of topics like “whatcelebrity is dating who” and “how many ounces are in a cup.”  I also use it to get me to other sites when I can’t remember the exact URL, all I have to do is put the title of the site in the search bar and BINGO I can find exactly what I am looking for.

Just this past week my grandpa, a 70 year old man who loves the radio and television but is very skeptical of the internet, asked me if I used “the Google” and he told me how amazed he was by how much information you can get from it.  However, as I said, he is very unsure of the internet and it mostly has to do with safety and privacy.

He is worried about credit card fraud, catfishing, and he was also surprised and upset to see how much information you can get off of someone just by googling their name.  He did admit that it could be very useful (like when he was looking up tractor prices) he is much more cautious than any other millennial that I know.
Overall, I do believe that today’s generation is addicted to the internet in general.  We have slacked off on memorizing material and learning hands on activities because if we ever needed to know something we could look it up and/or watch a video about.

As for privacy, I don’t consider this world private anymore.  Maybe it is because I’ve been desensitized and it doesn’t bother me (which speaks louder than anything else) or because businesses and organizations request so much information from you that it feels normal. 
Having little to no privacy has become the norm.

No comments:

Post a Comment