Monday, April 6, 2015

Blog Interview Reaction

As I was reading the interview done on Rebecca’s Pocket blog about Megan Reardon, I couldn’t help but wonder if her blog was even still around.  Reardon didn’t seem to want to keep up with the technology changes that were taking place and I believe that by doing this she was hurting her blog.

Reardon had disabled the comment section on her blog which has now eliminated interactivity between her and readers, which is what new media is all about. Of course I understand that some commenters are rude and “combative” but some can offer insightful information and actually teach the blogger something. 

Another thing that I found worrying is that Reardon hardly ever edits her work.  Now, I understand that if you are writing a quick blog you might make a spelling mistake or two. Nonetheless, when you are getting 4,000 viewers a day I think you should take an extra 5 minutes to make sure you didn’t confuse your with you’re.

One positive thought I had about what Reardon does with her blog is to make it personal about what she is interested in. She kept it like a craft journal and just a way to keep track of future projects and ideas she had come across and that’s how she incorporated hyperlinks into her blog.  I also liked that she would post the final version of what she made so that viewers get a visual of the real world application of the project.

However, she doesn’t let the audience in on any other aspects of her life.  She even said it herself: “The site has no sense of the person who writes it.”  Not that she needs to divulge in the details of her life, but the blog should have an essence of the person who writes it.  I feel like that may be the most important thing, next to interactivity, to have a successful and interesting blog.

Lastly, at the beginning I wondered if this blog was even still around and it is! The reason for that is because it evolved.  She made it more personal, but still keeps it as a “link journal.”  I do wonder how many visitors she gets in 2015 especially with the popularity of Pinterest. Another thing that I noticed is that Reardon also enabled comments again and is currently involved in all types of social media which can only help her get more views.

No comments:

Post a Comment